Saturday, February 4, 2012

Home at Last {Weeks 2-4}


DAY 11- Saturday, Jan. 14th
Home Sweet Home- My first weekend at home was fantastic. For the first time, I actually felt like watching movies, checking my email, and reading. I relaxed, exercised, went to church, and spent the next few days reorganizing my life. I also felt with-it enough to take over managing all of my medications and logs. This was a big step. My mom stayed with me for a few days, and before she departed, she helped me with the laundry and made double batches of lots of healthy, delicious food for us, much of which I had enough extra to freeze for later, when I didn't feel like cooking. Nutrition is a key factor in healing, so it is really important to have energy rich foods readily available to puree and eat.


WORK- I am blessed with a wonderful job that allows me to work from home (Thanks, I.O. METRO), so I didn't have to rush back to work in an office with others on Monday. I have spoken with a lot of people who have struggled immensely with going back to work right after returning home from surgery (because of the splint schedule and speaking). You are technically physically able, and cleared to do so, but talking while wearing the splint is a real challenge, and often leads to increased pain. I too, felt little bump-ups in pain when I was struggling to speak through the splint (and actually be understood). I had to make a conscious effort to monitor myself. This week I found a happy medium between exercising my muscles by speaking, and not straining them by using my newly invented "sign language" and magnadoodle board.
 ***
 My Daily Plan for Healing at Home
***
Scout was always ready for a walk, and generally, she just made me feel happy and better. I mean really, who wouldn't fall in love with her sweet face? 
Plus, medical research studies show that PETS HELP YOU HEAL.

MY WEEKLY ROUTINE
  • Walking 2 to 4 miles (at least 5 days a week)
  • Daily Physical Therapy Exercises for my Neck, Shoulders + Upper Back
  • Following the 5x/day Splint + Medication Schedule
  • No-Chew Diet- Eating Healthy Whole Foods made at Home 
  • Drinking lots of Water
  • Private Stott Pilates Lessons
  • Applying the Facial Heating Pad 
  • Using my Brookstone i-need Neck and Shoulder Pro Massager
  • Focusing on my Neck Posture while Working on the Computer
  • Outings (going to movies, museums, running errands, etc.)
  • Monitoring my Interaction with Others (so not to strain myself)
  • Using a Humidifier at Night
---


PAIN- WEEK 2: Several days after I got home, the constant ear pressure and frequent pains stopped, and I just began getting quick sharp pains occasionally. The only areas that still really hurt were the upper inner parts of my ears (photo above), the sides of my head (photo below) and stomach incision, which was still sensitive. I was sleeping much better and only woke up a couple of times in the night, or very early in the morning, from discomfort. A few times I felt as though I had been clenching, but never had any muscle spasms. I began only taking Tylenol, as needed, for pain. I also stopped taking my daily hour naps, because I was less tired, and wanted to get the best possible sleep at night.


I improved my smile to where you barely notice the braces/splint (well, if you're half blind and you just look quickly). Still, it's a huge progression from my photos right after surgery.


My stomach was healing up very well, too. On Week 3, I started rubbing Mederma Scar Gel on it four times a day. However, there was still a puckered up area of scar tissue that I was trying to get to flatten by massaging it daily.


DAY 15- Wednesday, Jan. 18th
Moved up to #3 on the Therabite
My muscles had to stretch farther than ever before, so there was some discomfort as I did my exercises. Using the heating pad afterward really helped.

DAY 16- Thursday, Jan. 19th
Phone Appointment with the Piper Clinic
The morning of the consult I faxed in my Progress Note. Since everything was going well, they just gave me some directions for my 30 minute breaks and medication changes. I asked a couple of questions and after that, the quick call ended.
TIP- When you have your first consult, you're going to have to do it on one of your 15 minute breaks. Make a protein shake/smoothie you can be drinking during the call, rather than trying to eat.


DAY 21- Tuesday, Jan. 24th
Started Weekly Private Pilates Lessons


STOTT PILATES® incorporates modern exercise principles, and applies proven and accepted practices in biomechanics, rehabilitation and athletic performance enhancement. After realizing the benefits of the concepts of the original Pilates method, and in collaboration with a team of physical therapists/physiotherapists, sports medicine and exercise professionals, the Merrithews dissected and re-connected this unique form of exercise into a comprehensive, systematic, contemporary approach to the original teachings.

STOTT PILATES exercises are designed to restore the natural curves of the spine and rebalance the muscles around the joints. This involves placing more emphasis on pelvic and scapular stabilization, and integration of all the parts of the body into one. As well, preparatory exercises and modifications allow the technique to be appropriate for many different body types and abilities, making it applicable to sport-specific training and everyday life.

FIVE BASIC BIOMECHANICAL PRINCIPLES
1.  Breathing
2.  Pelvic placement
3.  Rib cage placement
4.  Scapular movement
5.  Head & cervical spine placement

I could not ask for a better Pilates Instructor. Joetta has been such an amazing help, and has really worked with all of my limitations. I can already feel myself getting stronger!

DAY 22- Wednesday, Jan. 25th
Discontinued Relafen + 2 Front Elastics


Being able to remove two more frontal bands, also enabled a little more wiggle room in my splint, which took a day or two to get used to. Here is my newest smile with less bands...


DAY 23- Thursday, Jan. 26th
Break Times 5 times per day for 30 min.
Thirty minute breaks make all the difference in the world! If you get everything ready beforehand, as you would for the 15 min. breaks, you'll have time to make a phone call, visit with friends, or have coffee or dessert. The added time allowed me to enjoy my first cup of coffee since before surgery. Sometimes it is the little things in life that make you the happiest.
FYI- I only choose to drink clear liquids when I'm wearing my splint, so it doesn't get discolored. I really don't want it to be brown, since it is hanging around for 9 months.


PAIN- WEEK 3: Due to the combination of getting off the Relafen, 30 minute splint breaks, and increased talking, I felt a little bump-up in pain and a general tightness/achiness in the Masseter muscle in my face. Occasionally, I still got sharp ear pains, which only lasted a second, when doing my Therabite or jiggle exercises, and when hiccuping, sneezing, talking, blowing my nose, or accidentally biting my tongue, etc.
I also began to hear crackling cellophane-sounding noises in my ears when doing the jiggles, which Lisa previously told me was normal and to be expected. I had a couple of headaches (the normal people kind, not migraines), which were easily cured with Tylenol. I did not notice myself clenching when waking in the mornings, and I began sleeping through the night without waking up. Overall, my pain level was always under a Level 3. The muscle pain went away as my body got used to my new schedule.

... doing well and feeling more like myself!

4 WEEKS POST OP- Wednesday, Feb. 1st
Focusing on my Posture
I was really feeling great with regard to my jaw, ear, and facial pain levels (usually a Level 1). I had not  gotten any more headaches, and I religiously continued my daily routine (as outlined above). However, as I worked more on my computer, I began to feel that old muscular tightness and strain in my shoulders returning. I knew I had to get it under control before it started moving up my neck and getting really bad again. 

Thus, I began focusing even more intently on my posture and doing research to truly understand why poor posture was such a stress on the whole body. 



Good Posture



Once upon a time I had good posture. But, as my TMJ Disorder and chronic pain took their toll, without me even realizing it, my good posture slowly slipped away. Thus, I have to make a constant effort to think about, and correct, the way I am sitting, walking, and standing to ensure the best recovery possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment