Thursday, October 31, 2013

My Next Steps


Wow, it has been exactly two years since I met Dr. Piper for my first consult on Halloween in 2011. It is truly remarkable how far I have come. I am very grateful that I feel so good and that I have no jaw pain or headaches. I still travel to St. Pete every two months to see Dr. Jackson, I am eating all normal foods again, I'm off almost all my prescriptions (except 25mg at bedtime), I continue to work out daily and do Pilates twice a week to keep my neck and shoulders from hurting, and most importantly, I'm talking and smiling to my heart's content! I couldn't be happier about having my life back, even though I know I have another journey ahead. I guess that's the funny thing about life...


October 7, 2013 
DR. PIPER APPOINTMENT- 1:30pm

My checkup appointment with Dr. Piper went really well. He was pleased with my progress and the fact that I am feeling so wonderful. However, as I stated in my previous posts, my bite isn't going back together properly, so although I am going to continue with the brace work, it looks like I will require the jaw lengthening surgery (Sagittal Split Osteotomy) and the chin lengthening surgery (Sliding Genioplasty) to get everything back together, so that my joints aren't damaged from a misaligned bite. These surgeries will be done together to reduce my recovery time. I will return to see Dr. Piper at the beginning of February 2014 and then have the surgery within a month. I am happy to report that the recovery time for these surgeries is only a couple of months. That seems like a walk in the park! I am actually not even dreading it. I am so excited that the end is almost here. I have a real inner peace about it all, so as for now, I am going to take nothing for granted, focus on living in the moment, and enjoy my health each and every day!

1 comment:

  1. I just love how you put inspiring quotes in your blog posts. There are many people who also have TMJ, and your posts would certainly be a refreshing read for those who find your blog. I hope that you will continue inspiring people with TMJ, and in doing so, gain strength to persevere and find ways to relieve the pain associated with TMJ. Take care!

    Justene Doan @ APlusFamilyDentistry

    ReplyDelete