Thursday, June 26, 2014

6 Week Post-Op RepoRt


April 21, 2014
DR. PIPER APPOINTMENT- 9:40 AM
My appointment started out as always with an MRI. I was first seen by Lisa and then Dr. Piper. I updated them on the fact that I am feeling really good and have no bone pain of which to speak. I have fully regained normal feeling in my upper lip and the entire left side of my jaw and chin. However, I am still pretty numb on the right half of my lower lip and from the middle of my chin over about two inches to the right.
I have normal feeling in the right side of my face. The numb area is also the place that I continue to feel tingling, and little jolts from the nerves. I feel some swelling throughout the day in this area, but it is unrecognizable to those who look at me. My smile is still a little crooked, as well, since this part of my face is still numb. This is nothing to be concerned about, as they told me it could take up to 6 months to get all of the feeling back.

BITE
Dr. Piper examined me and noted that my bite was almost completely back together, but would still require approximately 6 more months of orthodontic work to make it perfect. Measurements of my bite were taken and it was noted that my vertical opening had shrunk down to 30mm. This is a result of having limited movement while wearing the splint and being on the no-chew diet. He was not concerned, but wants me to regain the height of my opening, so I am to begin using my Therabite again. I will start on hole 3 and work my way up to hole 5 by doing 30 pumps, five times per day. My linear protrusion was good at 6mm to the front, 9mm to the left and 7mm to the right.

MRI
Next, we viewed my MRI together. Dr. Piper was thrilled with how well my bones were healing. The nerves on both sides looked great and were the ideal 4mm distance away from where the bone was cut. It was really amazing to see all of the work he did and how it has healed.

DIET
I get to move from a no-chew to soft chew diet. I am very excited not to have to puree my food anymore!

MEDICATIONS
As a result of the stability of my bones, Dr. Piper said I could start weaning off of my Klonopin and Trazodone. I will take smaller amounts of each until I am off of them totally. Then he said I should use them on an as-needed basis. He also gave my a script for 25mg of Lyrica that I am only to fill if I get the really bad burning/throbbing again as I get the feeling back in the last portion of the right side of my chin and lip. I am hopeful that this will not be needed, but thankful to have it just in case.

BRACES
Since my bones are healing so well, Dr. Piper cleared me to begin the final orthodontic movement with Dr. Jackson. Today, once Dr. J starts moving my teeth, my splint will no longer fit, so I am finished wearing it for good. Yippee! Dr. Piper noted that my teeth need slightly more cuspid guidance to get my bite back into the ideal positioning. I am to continue maintaining vertical support by wearing elastics for 10-12 hours per day from the cuspid to bicuspid (a triangle). I can wear the bands after dinner and at night, so this won't be a big nuisance at all.

DR. JACKSON APPOINTMENT- 2:00 PM

Visiting Dr. Jackson was a pleasure, as always. As a result of not having to wear the splint anymore, I was very exited to get rid of my wires with all of the splint hooks! They were really digging into the inside of my lower lip, near my scar, and causing pain. I was always having to wear a lot of wax on my lower brackets. Dr. Jackson informed me that the wires that he put on will be my last set! He believes I will only need a few more appointments and tweaks and I will be finished with my braces forever. I will return to St. Pete in two months for the next appointment. I am really in the final stretch now!

HERE IS HOW MY CHIN AND SCARS ARE LOOKING...

3 comments:

  1. Hi, Christine! The title of your blog and your description about your TMJ journey is spot on. It is not an easy path to take. And I know my words will not change anything but you are definitely not alone. In fact, people who might be suffering from TMJ who are reading your blog might be getting strength and courage from your words. I admire your strength in facing TMJ. Stay strong!

    Maricela Gauthier @ Dentist-Newport-Beach.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. The cost will be different for each individual and I am sure that prices have changed since I had my surgery 4 years ago. Dr. Piper's office can give you a full breakdown of all of the expected costs. Sorry I am not much more help. All the best!

      Delete