Sunday, January 22, 2012

Dooms Day {DAY 4}



DAY FOUR- Saturday, Jan. 7th 
  • Morning
Once all of the meds from the IVs wore off, I was feeling really terrible. Saturday was my worst day of recovery. Dr. Piper and Lisa let me know that it was likely that my pain would spike over the weekend. Well, it did. I was nauseous again and started the morning by throwing up. I was also freezing. My teeth would start to chatter, which hurt my cheeks and jaw. It felt like it was time for another syringe of meds, Ensure or fluids every second. I really don't know how my Mom and Jay kept up with everything. They were my heros.


Since I was no longer on the IV steroids, my face started swelling and get getting red. (No laughing at my beautiful pics.)


I followed the orders and used the heating pad 5 times a day for 15-20 min.


Profile + Ear Pics from Day Four.


  • Afternoon
My sweet, thoughtful and caring Aunt Betsy and Aunt Lindy drove 10 hours round trip to come and see me for just a few minutes. We walked the halls together and I sat outside with them for a little while. Their love, prayers, support and encouragement meant the world to me.


They were a BRIGHT LIGHT in my darkest day.


  • Evening
With continuous walking and rest I was in pain and nauseous all day, but didn't throw up again until that night. However, when I did, it seemed that everything I had ingested all day came up. My family was very concerned that I had lost all of my calories, medications and fluids. Jay called Dr. Piper at 10:00 PM. Dr. Piper called back right away and said I needed to reduce my carbohydrate/dairy intake (Ensure/smoothies) and stay on clear liquids only. I had to get down 3-4 cc's of fluid before bed, so didn't become dehydrated during the night. We also thought the pain medicine could be what was making me so sick, so we reduced my Demerol to a half dose, from then on, and I only took it at bedtime and when I woke up.

TIPS- (1) It is much easier to drink out of a glass cup than a bottle, because the glass allows the fluid to flow around the sides of the splint, rather than directly into the front of it. (2) Sleep propped up and place a pillow under your knees. This will help with swelling and take the pressure off of your lower back, to help prevent you from subconsciously rolling onto your side during the night.

No comments:

Post a Comment