Thursday, January 19, 2012

Pre Surgical Appointments


1st APPOINTMENT DAY- Thursday, Dec. 28th

9:00 AM: Piper Clinic
Surgical Work-Up

Initially, I was taken back to get new wax imprints, molds, measurements, photos, and a CT scan.

Then, my appointment was with the amazing Lisa. She went through all of the Pre-Op paperwork that I brought with me. Lisa thoroughly explained what to expect over the next week of appointments, and described the care giver and patient expectations and instructions. She gave us a lot of information, but was very organized and always followed up, so we didn't miss a beat. It was really wonderful how she answered all of our questions, and clarified every detail of what to expect, so there were no surprises. 

Finally, she gave me a bag to carry all of my paperwork, the I-Can't-Chew Cookbook, and a Planner filled out with all of my appointments for the next year. I left the appointment feeling prepared and totally at ease.
...

FREE WEEKEND- Fri, Dec. 29th - Sun, Jan. 1st

It was awesome to have 3 days to enjoy ourselves before my surgery. The weather was perfect and we spent a lot of time working out along the water. We ate at all of the restaurants along the bay, visited the shops, and relaxed by the pool. We just pretended we were on a mini vacation and got to celebrate New Year's Eve at the beautiful Vinoy.

TIP- Eat your heart out this weekend, because...

...

2nd APPOINTMENT DAY- Monday, Jan. 2nd 

7:40 AM: Piper Clinic
Wax Check 

This was just a quick appointment where Dr. Piper and Lisa checked my wax molds, in order to make my Surgical Splint, which they would have for me to try on at my afternoon appointment. Dr. Piper also told me to start taking over the counter Prilosec, to reduce the acid in my stomach before surgery, in order to try and help prevent nausea.

8:30 AM: Dr. Jackson's Office 
-S-U-R-G-I-C-A-L-  -B-R-A-C-E-S- (Oh, Joy!)


Sitting in Dr. Jackson's chair and ready to get the show on the road.


Dr. Jackson was awesome! He worked quickly and never had me opening my mouth too long. He frequently asked me if I needed a break. The whole process took about 2 hours and his assistant loaded me up with tips, wax and other cleaning supplies for my braces.


2:50 PM: Piper Clinic
History + Physical / Splint Check

Dr. Piper did a thorough physical, went over my personal and family medical history, and additional questionnaires. He checked my braces, with my splint in place, and answered all of my questions.

Lisa gave me lots of good tips and showed me how to apply the rubber bands to the hooks on my braces. Then, as she looked on, she had me practice making the shapes that I would use post surgery. She instructed me to practice this three times a day until my surgery. Finally, she provided us with an organizational medication spreadsheet to use once I was discharged from the hospital. Once we confirmed my next appointment, I was finished for the day.
...
And finally, below are my braces in all their glory (ouch!)
On a positive note, my Mom flew in so we would have a night and day to spend together having fun before surgery. 


Lisa suggested that I have my last real meal on Monday night instead of doing it on Tuesday (the night before surgery), because having less on my stomach would reduce the risk of throwing up. Sadly, my teeth felt like they were in a vice, and the braces were really agitating the inside of my mouth. It really hurt moving my lips to eat. 

TIP- I suggest you have your last great meal the night before your braces are put on! 

I also started getting sores inside my mouth. I followed Dr. Jackson's tip of swishing with warm salt water (multiple times a day), to try and help them heal. This helped. I also used the wax at night and when I wasn't eating or out and about. For me the wax was easiest to apply and remove when I just laid a whole strip on the entire front of the braces, instead of sticking on individual little balls. Luckily, the agitation from the braces doesn't last long. Once I woke up from surgery, the little sores and tooth pain were totally gone.
...

3rd APPOINTMENT DAY- Tuesday, Jan. 3rd

9:00 AM: Edward White Hospital
Laboratory Work + Admission Paperwork 

The Piper Clinic gave me the packet to provide the Patient Access Department at the hospital. There I filled out all of the hospital forms and payment information. My lab work included a complete blood count, blood chemistries, urinalysis and pregnancy test. Finally, I met with a friendly nurse named Kathy to answer general questions about my medical history and health.
...

Once I was finished at the hospital, my appointments were completed for the day. We went to the MUSEUM OF FINE ARTS and had a wonderful rest of the afternoon exploring St. Petersburg.

No comments:

Post a Comment